Overview of Health and Safety Protocols
At HSA, we are deeply committed to maintaining a healthy environment for all students, staff, faculty, parents, and visitors. Your health and safety remain our biggest priority as we begin the fall session. We will continue to follow COVID-19 guidelines issued by the Center for Disease Control, New York State, and New York City as circumstances continue to change. It is critical that we do everything we can to use the building safely, prevent the spread of COVID-19, and protect all those who enter and exit the building. To that end, we have developed the following safety policies and thank you in advance for your cooperation and help in creating a safe environment for the entire HSA community.
Arrival and Screening
Upon arriving at HSA, anyone entering the building will be required to undergo the following:
- A mask must be worn at all times; face coverings with vents are not permitted.
- Complete a COVID-19 symptom screening questionnaire as required by the city of New York.
- Submit to contactless temperature checks at entry. If your temperature reads above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, this is considered a fever and you will not be allowed to enter the building.
To ensure a safe learning and professional environment, please adhere to the following:
- Wash hands often for at least 20 seconds each time.
- Remain six feet apart from others.
- Limit elevator capacity to no more than two people.
- Limit bathroom usage to no more than one person at a time.
- Drinking fountains must only be used to refill reusable water bottles; students and visitors will not be allowed to drink directly from the fountains.
HSA is committed to ensuring the highest standard of cleaning and sanitizing throughout the building, including:
- Daily enhanced cleaning and disinfection in accordance with CDC and health official recommendations.
- Air purifiers and enhanced ventilation; MERV-13 filters are used to filter out particles for coughs/sneezes, steam, and vapor.
- Added time between classes to allow for extra cleaning, airing of rooms, and reduced hall traffic flow.
Temperate Check Details:
- All staff, faculty, and visitors will be temperature checked at the Main HSA entrance.
- All students, parents, and guardians will be temperature checked by the egress door in Dorothy Manor Hall during class hours Monday-Saturday.
- All visitors must exit through our main door in view of security.
- Visitors who arrive after the class start time will be temperature checked at the security desk.
Drop Off and Pick Up Protocols for Parents:
- When reporting for class, parents and Students should enter through the side door (not the main entrance) to facilitate the health check at entry.
- Parents of young children may walk their children to classrooms but may not stay in the class or surrounding hallways.
- Parents/guardians dropping off students 12 and under should depart HSA during class time after the child has been taken to class.
- If a parent or guardian needs to remain onsite, a designated area in Dorothy Maynor Hall allows up to 35 people to wait.
- Weather permitting, the courtyard will be open seasonally for outdoor waiting (up to 20 socially distanced people).
- All other building areas will be closed to sitting, waiting, and socializing, including but not limited to hallways, HSA cafe, outside ensemble rooms, classes, admin areas, theater space and dance studios.
- Please arrive no earlier than 15 minutes before class and no earlier than 10 minutes before pick up.
- Limit one parent or guardian for drop off and pick up; fully vaccinated preferred.
Additional Health Information
- The HSA Shop is closed, and eating meals in the HSA building is not permitted. Light snacks can be consumed in Dorothy Maynor Hall or courtyard waiting areas.
- Dressing rooms and locker rooms in the basement are closed. Please come dressed and ready for dance and movement classes.
- Do not bring valuables to HSA; keep personal belongings to a minimum and with you in classes at all times.
- All HSA space rental agreements specify that guests must show proof of vaccination upon event entry.
- Any student, instructor, staff member, or visitor who exhibits COVID-19 symptoms or receives a positive COVID-19 test: